History

Holme shares its history with Glatton as it was the fen holding of Glatton parish and belonged to the same major landowners.  In 1857 as a result of the drainage of the fens, Holme had a larger population and became a parish in its own right.  In 1918 the Glatton holdings of the Holmewood estate were sold.

The oldest part of the village, centring round the church, was an estate village for the tenants and workers of the Holmewood Estate.  Holmewood Hall, built in 1873, for the Wells family, replaced an earlier house of unknown date.  Since the end of the War the house has been owned by British Sugar and is used as a conference centre. .  The houses nearest the railway were developed in the 1840s to house railway workers.  Holme having its own railway station until 1959. The one remaining public house is situated here named after Admiral Wells, who was a contemporary of Nelson and pallbearer at his funeral. Some small new developments of housing have been built, since the War.

The village also includes outlaying farms on Whittlesey mere, once one of the largest lakes in England. This was drained by William Wells, in 1851.  He erected a post which records the peat shrinkage since that time.  Part of the old mere is being flooded again as part of the Great Fen project.  At 9 feet below sea level land in the Holme Fen has the distinction of being the lowest lying in England.  To ensure the spiritual needs of the fen dwellers were met, a floating church was built in 1897 and plied the local waterways until 1904.

American forces were based near the village in the Second World War with RAF Glatton on one side of the village.  In Holmewood Hall and its park there was a very secret packing station filling canisters with supplies which were dropped to agents and resistance fighters in occupied Europe. 

Holme WI was first formed in 1918, closed in 1943 and reformed in 1949.  During the War years many of the WI members belonged to the Holme Working Party which raised funds for the War effort.  The wives of the land agents for the Holmewood estate were very influential in the formation of the WI.  The reformed WI met in a wooden hut behind the agent's house.  Since 1967 we have meet in the Village Hall.  Our membership stands at 37, our ages ranging from 30 to two over 80 year old and some members belonging for almost 60 years.